Boom conveyors, also known as telescopic conveyors or extendable conveyors, are flexible material handling systems that are used to extend the reach of conveyor systems and transport goods over long distances. They are commonly used in warehouses, distribution centres, shipping terminals, and other industries that require efficient and versatile material handling.
This video shows a typical application for a boom conveyor
Listed below are some of the most comment types of boom conveyors and the particular applications that they are best suited to. If the goods being loading onto the boom conveyor require palletising, one of the best ways to automate this is to install an automated palletising system to palletise off the end of the boom conveyor. This removes the manual handling risk of palletising the product and removes the need for manual labour. The Granta GA15 palletising system is best suited to this as it has an automated programming system which enables it to automatically self-program the palletising system according to the product being loaded into the boom conveyor.
Fixed-Length Boom Conveyor
This type of boom conveyor consists of a fixed-length telescopic section that extends and retracts horizontally. It allows for lateral movement of goods but does not offer variable length adjustment.
Some common applications for fixed length boom conveyors include:
- Loading and Unloading: Fixed length boom conveyors are often used for loading and unloading materials onto trucks, railcars, or other transport vehicles. The extendable boom can reach into the cargo area, facilitating the transfer of goods.
- Stockpiling: These conveyors can be utilized for creating stockpiles of materials, such as aggregates, coal, or wood chips. The boom can be extended to deposit the material in a controlled manner, creating neat and organized piles.
- Stacking and Reclaiming: Fixed length boom conveyors are employed in storage yards or warehouses to stack or reclaim bulk materials. They can deposit materials in a specific location for storage or retrieve them for further processing or transportation.
- Ship and Barge Loading: In port facilities, fixed length boom conveyors are often used to load cargo onto ships or barges. The extendable boom can reach over the vessel, enabling efficient loading of goods into the holds.
- Construction Projects: These conveyors find applications in construction sites where materials need to be moved across different areas. They can transport aggregates, soil, or other construction materials to the desired location, eliminating the need for manual labour.
Fixed length boom conveyors offer versatility and flexibility in material handling operations. They can be adjusted to accommodate different reach requirements and are particularly useful when a fixed distance needs to be covered.
Variable-Length or Telescopic Boom Conveyor
These conveyors have telescopic sections that can be extended or retracted to achieve the desired length. They provide flexibility in handling goods of various sizes and can adapt to different loading and unloading points.
Some common applications of variable length boom conveyors include:
- Loading and Unloading: Variable length boom conveyors are commonly used in applications where flexibility in reach is required. They are often used for loading and unloading materials onto trucks, trailers, or containers. The telescopic feature allows the conveyor to extend into the cargo area, facilitating efficient transfer of goods.
- Stockpiling and Stacking: These conveyors are frequently used for creating stockpiles or stacking materials in storage yards. The adjustable boom length enables operators to customize the height and shape of the stockpile, optimizing storage capacity and organization.
- Ship and Barge Loading: Variable length boom conveyors are extensively used in port facilities for loading cargo onto ships or barges. The telescopic boom can extend over the vessel, reaching the desired loading point, and allowing efficient transfer of bulk materials.
- Temporary Conveyor Systems: In temporary or mobile applications, such as construction sites or events, variable length boom conveyors can be deployed to transport materials over varying distances. They offer adaptability to changing site requirements and can be easily moved or adjusted as needed.
- Aggregate Processing: These conveyors are commonly used in aggregate processing plants, such as quarries or mining operations. They can transport materials from crushers or screening equipment to stockpiles or other processing stages, accommodating different distances and heights.
Variable length boom conveyors provide flexibility in material handling operations, allowing operators to adjust the reach and position of the conveyor according to specific needs. They offer efficient and customizable solutions for various industries that require adaptable conveying capabilities.
Articulating Boom Conveyor
Articulating boom conveyors have multiple sections joined by flexible joints, allowing for smooth and continuous movement around corners and obstacles. They offer increased manoeuvrability and can navigate tight spaces more effectively.
Some common applications of articulating boom conveyors include:
- Loading and Unloading: Articulating boom conveyors are often used for loading and unloading materials in areas with restricted access or complex layouts. The ability to articulate at multiple points enables the conveyor to navigate around obstacles and reach tight spaces, such as in the back of trucks, trailers, or containers.
- Warehousing and Distribution: These conveyors are utilized in warehouses and distribution centres to transport materials between different areas or levels. The articulating booms can manoeuvre around corners, obstacles, and elevation changes, allowing for efficient movement of goods in confined spaces.
- Ergonomic Material Handling: Articulating boom conveyors are employed in applications where ergonomic material handling is crucial. They can bring materials closer to workers, reducing the need for excessive reaching, bending, or lifting. This can help improve worker safety and productivity.
- Assembly and Manufacturing: In assembly lines or manufacturing processes, articulating boom conveyors can be used to transport components or products between workstations. The flexible booms can adapt to the specific layout of the production area, enabling efficient material flow and optimizing workflow.
- Order Picking: Articulating boom conveyors are useful for order picking operations, especially in situations where items need to be retrieved from various shelves or racking systems. The articulated design allows the conveyor to navigate through narrow aisles and reach different storage locations, simplifying the picking process.
Articulating boom conveyors provide increased manoeuvrability and versatility in material handling tasks. Their ability to articulate at multiple points makes them suitable for applications that require flexibility and adaptability in reaching and positioning materials.
Radial Boom Conveyor
Radial boom conveyors feature a rotating boom that can pivot around a central axis. This type of conveyor is commonly used in applications where goods need to be distributed in multiple directions or loaded into different storage areas.
Some of the main applications of radial boom conveyors include:
- Stockpiling: Radial boom conveyors are primarily used for creating circular or semi-circular stockpiles of bulk materials such as aggregates, coal, wood chips, or minerals. The conveyor can rotate in a 360-degree radius, distributing the material evenly around the centre point. This radial stacking creates efficient and organized stockpiles, optimizing storage capacity and facilitating easy retrieval.
- Blending: These conveyors are often used in applications where blending or mixing of materials is required. By rotating the radial boom and discharging the material in different locations, the conveyor can effectively blend different grades or types of materials, ensuring consistent quality throughout the stockpile.
- Temporary Storage: Radial boom conveyors are utilized in situations where temporary storage of materials is needed. They allow for quick and flexible setup, enabling the creation of stockpiles in locations where permanent infrastructure might be impractical or costly.
- Efficient Material Distribution: Radial boom conveyors can be used to distribute materials to various processing or loading points. By rotating the conveyor, materials can be discharged directly into different areas, eliminating the need for additional conveying equipment and reducing handling time.
- Port and Terminal Operations: These conveyors are commonly used in port facilities for bulk material handling. They can be positioned at ship or barge loading areas to create stockpiles of materials before loading. The radial stacking feature allows efficient loading by extending the reach over the vessel’s holds.
Radial boom conveyors provide an efficient solution for stockpiling bulk materials in a circular pattern, enabling organized storage, blending capabilities, and flexible material distribution. They are particularly advantageous in applications where large quantities of materials need to be stored temporarily or efficiently distributed to various locations.
Curved Boom Conveyor
Curved boom conveyors are designed with a curved or bent telescopic section, enabling them to follow a specific path or flow of material. They are useful in applications where a straight-line conveyor is not feasible due to space constraints or facility layout.
Some of the main applications of curved boom conveyors include:
- Space Optimization: Curved boom conveyors are often used in facilities where space is limited or where there are obstacles that prevent the use of straight conveyors. They allow for efficient use of available space by enabling the conveyor system to navigate around existing structures, machinery, or other equipment.
- Smooth Material Flow: In manufacturing or assembly processes, curved boom conveyors are used to smoothly transport materials or products around corners or between workstations. They ensure a continuous flow of items, eliminating the need for manual handling or potential interruptions in the production line.
- Accumulation and Sorting: Curved boom conveyors can be integrated into accumulation and sorting systems. They enable the controlled accumulation of items along a curved path, ensuring a smooth transition between different conveyor lines or processes. This is particularly useful in applications where materials or products need to be merged or sorted based on specific criteria.
- Packaging and Distribution: These conveyors are commonly used in packaging and distribution centres to transport items around corners or between packaging stations. They facilitate the movement of products from one processing area to another, optimizing workflow and reducing the need for manual handling.
- Airport Baggage Handling: Curved boom conveyors are frequently utilized in airport baggage handling systems. They transport luggage from check-in counters to sorting areas, security checkpoints, and onto planes. The curved design allows for efficient routing of baggage through various checkpoints and directions within the airport.
Curved boom conveyors provide flexibility in material handling operations, allowing for smooth transportation of items along curved paths or around corners. They are particularly beneficial in environments where space optimization, continuous flow, and efficient routing are essential requirements.
Elevated Boom Conveyor
Elevated boom conveyors are mounted on an elevated structure, such as a mezzanine or overhead beams. They provide elevated transportation of goods, allowing for efficient use of vertical space and enabling multi-level material handling.
The main applications of elevated boom conveyors include:
- Overhead Transportation: Elevated boom conveyors are used for transporting materials overhead, providing an elevated pathway for items to move across a facility. This can be particularly useful in environments with limited floor space or where obstacles need to be bypassed. The elevated structure allows for efficient and unobstructed movement of materials.
- Assembly and Production Lines: These conveyors are commonly employed in assembly and production processes where items need to be transported at a higher level. The elevated platform allows for easier access to workstations, reducing the need for operators to bend or reach down. This can improve ergonomics and increase productivity in manufacturing operations.
- Sorting and Distribution: Elevated boom conveyors are utilized in sorting and distribution centres to move items between different levels or departments. They can transport materials to mezzanines, multi-level storage systems, or elevated processing areas, enabling efficient sorting, packing, or distribution operations.
- Warehouse and Storage Facilities: Elevated boom conveyors are often used in warehouses or storage facilities to maximize vertical space utilization. They can transport materials or products to upper levels or racks for storage or retrieval. By utilizing the available vertical space, elevated boom conveyors help optimize storage capacity and facilitate efficient inventory management.
- Retail and E-commerce Applications: In retail or e-commerce settings, elevated boom conveyors can be used for order fulfilment processes. They transport items from storage areas to packing stations or elevated picking areas, streamlining the order fulfilment workflow and increasing operational efficiency.
Elevated boom conveyors provide a means to transport materials or products at a higher level, allowing for efficient overhead movement and optimizing space utilization in various industries. They enable streamlined operations, improved ergonomics, and effective utilization of vertical space in material handling processes.
Portable Boom Conveyor
Portable boom conveyors are designed to be easily moved and repositioned as needed. They often feature wheels or casters for mobility and can be quickly set up or dismantled. These conveyors are suitable for temporary or changing work environments.
Here are the main applications of portable boom conveyors:
- Loading and Unloading: Portable boom conveyors are commonly used for loading and unloading materials from trucks, trailers, or containers. They can be quickly transported to the desired location and extended to reach the cargo area, facilitating efficient and flexible loading or unloading operations.
- Temporary Conveying: These conveyors are ideal for temporary or changing work environments where material handling needs may vary. They can be easily moved and set up in different locations, providing a temporary conveying solution for construction sites, events, or temporary storage areas.
- Stockpiling and Stacking: Portable boom conveyors are used to create temporary stockpiles or stacking areas for bulk materials. They can be positioned to form circular or semi-circular stockpiles, allowing for efficient storage and easy retrieval of materials.
- Flexible Material Distribution: Portable boom conveyors enable flexible material distribution in various applications. They can transport materials between different points within a facility, such as assembly lines, processing stations, or temporary storage areas, adapting to changing material flow requirements.
- Remote or Hard-to-Reach Locations: These conveyors are well-suited for applications in remote or hard-to-reach locations where fixed or permanent conveyors may not be practical. Portable boom conveyors can be easily transported to such locations, allowing for efficient material handling in challenging environments.
- Event and Entertainment Industry: Portable boom conveyors find applications in the event and entertainment industry. They are used for stage setup, props transportation, or moving equipment and materials during concerts, exhibitions, or film productions.
Portable boom conveyors offer flexibility and mobility in material handling operations. Their portable nature allows for easy transportation and setup, making them suitable for temporary or changing work environments. They provide a versatile solution for loading, unloading, stockpiling, and material distribution in various industries.
It’s worth noting that the specific terminology and configurations of boom conveyors may vary across industries and manufacturers. The design and features of a boom conveyor can be customized to meet the specific requirements of a particular application. If you would like to discuss your application in more detail, please contact us on 01223 499488 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more…